- ZIM is for everyone - from absolute beginner to absolute professional
- The visual and colorful results are great for left and right brained learners!
- Use any computer with any modern Browser
- A text editor with color syntaxing is recommended:
- Atom, VS Code, NotePad++, Sublime
- Requirements have never been so freely available!
- To get coding press COPY on the ZIM Code page:
- Or code online at SLATE or LAB or in ZIM Skool
- Try SLATE now with new Emitter().center();
- Not sure what else to code? See the next learn sections!
Code ZIM inside Adobe Animate with ZIM SHIM. Here is a set of ZIM TUTORIALS FOR ADOBE ANIMATE!
CodePen is an excellent resource for inspiration and learning. We have started an ongoing series there called CREATIVE CODING LESSONS. The lessons are NOT how to learn basic coding or ZIM (see the video series above or the schools below for those) but rather focus on techniques for making art, games, puzzles, etc. with creative coding.
Visit ZIM KIDS for Colorful Coding Workshop Tutorials including an easy online editor to test right in the Browser. TEACHERS can check how the lessons match curriculum. Tutorials are divided into PARTS, BUGS and THINGS and each tutorial has three levels. There are also MAGIC, SPELLS and SLATE pages to kids learn and practice!
Visit ZIM SKOOL for Creative Coding Lessons including colorful theory and practice for both left and right brain learners! There are introduction pages for STUDENTS and TEACHERS. The lessons are found HERE and are supported by the many TUTORIAL examples in ZIM Learn.
Dr Abstract (ZIM Founder) is a Professor of INTERACTIVE MEDIA at Sheridan College in Canada. The Interactive Media program is a one-year post-grad with courses in Interactive Coding (Canvas), Web Design and Development (DOM), Audio Video, UI/UX, Project Management, Creative Technology and Mobile Design. Get MORE INFORMATION.
Dr Abstract has provided YOUR GUIDE TO CREATIVE CODING ON THE CANVAS which is a definitive twelve-guide collection to coding the Canvas with ZIM. ZIM ON DEV has articles on specific topics.
Original BASIC, MID and ADVANCED tutorials are below. We recommend the VIDEO series above for more recent material. For new coders and philosophers of code, watch the CODE ZERO videos. Get BADGES making APPS, ART and PHYS projects. The TIPS show latest ZIM techniques and ZIM Bubbling the latest features! See the code of the ZIM INTRO page for a quick demo!