HistoryIn 1996, Inventor Dan Zen searched "Interactive Advertising" on the WebCrawler search engine (the Google of the day). The phrase did not exist - he should have bought the domain! He had just built ADMUSEMENTS - a site of interactive ads.
Here is a description by Dan Zen from 1996. Note, that this was before DELL sold computers online!
Creation and ConsumptionThere is always a battle between creation and consumption. Traditionally, advertising is one way (consumption). There is risk to let the people talk back and create. We must remember the advantages of interactive engagement and empowerment. Here are some thoughts on why we might use ZIM and tip that balance back towards creativity.
- Time - more time with the brand is usually good
- Trust - let's treat adults like adults!
- Community - build a following
- Experience - give users experiences
- Wonder - there are really cool interactives!
- Learning - engagement leads to learning
- Fun - hey... we love those endorphins!
BOTTOM LINEThe Canvas is young. Tooling has been missing to be able to create the types of features we made in Flash. This all changes with ZIM - please watch Why ZIM.
- ZIM has added conveniences, components and controls
- These are very customizable and mobile friendly
- They surpass the options available in Flash
- Years of honing interactive media has made ZIM simple to code
- This leads to less build time and more opportunities
- Make interactive ads and features better and faster!